2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
¼ tspn salt
6 large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp matcha (powdered Japanese green tea)
- Bring cream, milk, and salt to a boil in a heavy saucepan and remove from heat.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, and matcha powder in a bowl, then add 1 cup hot cream mixture in a slow stream, whisking vigorously.
– Kids can help with whisking while dad pours the hot cream.
- Whisk custard into remaining cream mixture in saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick enough to coat back of spoon.
- Immediately pour custard through a fine sieve into a metal bowl, then cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
– Kids can help hold the sieve in place while dad pours the hot custard.
- Chill, covered, until cold, at least 1 hour.
- Freeze in ice cream maker, or if you don’t own an ice cream maker, stir up the custard hourly to break up any ice crystals. As the consistency thickens to a satisfactory state, the ice cream is completed.
– Kids can help dad with the hourly stirs.