1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
3 large eggs
2 tsp grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°C. Grease a loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.
– Kids can help dad grease and line the pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into one bowl.
– Kids can help dad with the sifting of ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.
– Kids can help with the whisking.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. (Dad to take over here.)
- With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.
- For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.
– Kids can help dad pour the glaze over the cake.