To make cupcakes:
85g self-raising flour
70g all-purpose plain flour
113g unsalted butter, softened
170g caster sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
½ cup milk
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake papers.
– Kids can help to line the muffin tins.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
– Kids can help with the adding of eggs into the mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about ¾ full.
– Kids can help to spoon batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before spreading on the toppings.
- Try easy toppings combining yummy Nutella spread with:
- Granola and cranberries
- Vanilla ice cream
- Strawberries and whipped cream
- A sprinkling of your favourite chopped nuts
– Kids can have fun selecting their favourite topping and decorating the cupcakes with their daddies.