- 1 large red onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 5 tbsp curry powder
- 3-4 tbsps of cooking oil
- 1 pkt frozen mixed vegetables
- 500g ground lamb or beef
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1.5kg potatoes
- 1 litre skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp butter
Preparing the Meat
- Peel and chop the garlic cloves (fine) and onions (chopped)
- Heat a large pan, add oil and allow it to heat for a minute or so.
- Fry garlic till slightly brown and add chopped onions.
- When onions begin to soften, add curry power and fry till fragrant.
- Add lamb or beef and brown for 8 minutes, turning it over regularly.
- Add mixed vegetable, stir well and remove pan from fire.
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparing the mashed potato
- Peel potatoes, quarter and put them into a pot of boiling water.
- Boil for about 10 minutes until pieces and be skewered with a fork.
- Thoroughly drain off the water.
- To the cooked (dry) potatoes, add milk, butter, a pinch of salt and pepper
- Mash till smooth.
Assembling the pie
- Preheat oven to 190ºC or 375ºF
- Place lamb or beef mix to a large baking dish
- Layer mash over the meat mixture.
- Cook in the oven for around 25 minutes, or until the mash is golden
Recipe serves 6 – 8
Plant a cocktail Singa flag on it to celebrate your achievement. Take a photo to commemorate the first time you cooked a Singapore pie!
Whatever you decide to do, make it a time to connect with family and to remember and appreciate the people who care about us, each in their own unique way.
Celebrate with more NDP@Home ideas:
- Flag it!
- Singapore Shepherd’s Pie
- Try out the “Red and White”, “Moon and Stars” Kid’s Activity Pizza
- Rice sprinkled with History
- Parade Fruit Platter
- Tie dye your own NDP Red Tee
- NDP Agar Desserts