- Dissolve one pack of Swallow Globe Brand Agar-Agar powder in 1 litre of water.
- Add 220g of sugar, 2 pandan leaves, stir and bring to boil over low heat.
- Pour some of this liquid onto a dinner plate to form a layer that’s no more than 1/4″ thick.
- Add 2 tablespoons of milk, mix well and leave to cool.
- Add red colouring to into the remaining agar liquid and mix well. Pour this liquid into little pie tins or shallow glass bowls (around 3″ in diameter). This red base should be around 1″ thick. (WARNING: The tins will be hot! Do not touch them till they have cooled. Glass might be better, but these will be hot too.)
- (Optional) Add fruit to the red agar base if you like. Tinned fruit cocktail is an all time favourite. Spoon in 1 tablespoon of fruit into each tin with a little of the fruit syrup.
- Leave to cool and refrigerate till set.
- Use star and crescent shaped cookie cutters to form white agar stars and crescent moons.
- Turn out the little red agar agar tins onto a serving tray or plate. Place a single star or moon to adorn each red agar base.
- Decorate with Singa Cocktail Flags.
This recipe will make around 10-12 NDP Agar Desserts.
Your children will love forming agar agar stars and crescent moons with their cookie cutters. Gather them round to help turn out the red agar bases and decorating them with the stars, moons and Singa Flags.
Have a camera on hand. It will be a colourful picture moment to behold!
For the more advanced chefs, we recommend checking out blogger Ann Low’s recipe for making an eye catching Agar Agar Singapore Flag.
Her blog also features contributions from fellow bakers showcasing National Day themed cakes and National Day cookies that look like fridge magnets. Do visit her site and see it for yourself!
We hope you will drop us a line and share your creations with us!
We’d love to hear from you!
Celebrate with more NDP@Home ideas:
- Flag it!
- Singapore Shepherd’s Pie
- Try out the “Red and White”, “Moon and Stars” Kid’s Activity Pizza
- Rice sprinkled with History
- Parade Fruit Platter
- Tie dye your own NDP Red Tee
- NDP Agar Desserts